Sunday, June 6, 2010

Who the fuck is Wayne Sharp and Not so petite Katrina Kaif

We are strange people in India. A couple of weeks back we just refused to accept a film which was made on huge budgets and had some really good cast and suddenly this week, we are going ballistic praising a well used and abused story which is interlaced with scenes from another international classic. What’s more, we event went ahead and compared the female protagonist of the movie to female protagonist of Indian politics. Hackneyed, aren’t we?

Saw Rajneeti finally on Sunday morning. Sherlock Homes was the last movie that I saw in theater. The promotion and cast n crew of the film were compelling enough for me to go and spend 3 hours in the theater and not doze off. Well I can’t write anything more what others haven’t written. Yes it is a semi-clever adaptation of Mahabharat and The Godfather. I say semi-clever because while some the scenes were blatant lifts, some of the scenes were under the hangover of Prakash Jha’s earlier films (the thick Bihari accent in Bhopal was unbearable to be honest) and some scenes were cleverly written, out rightly impressive.

Some of the characters of the movie were played by exceptionally brilliant actors. Manoj Vajpayee is suffering from awe-some-osis. He stands out in the smallest of roles (in Daud) to Shool (his first lead role) to Bhikhu Mhatre and now Virender Pratap Singh. Arjun Rampal was a revelation in Rock On but from the deadpan expression, to his fascinating display of Sonny Corleone in Rajneeti is like a walk of thousand miles. For Ajay Devgn (you are reading it right, he has changed his surname) this was an almost repeat role. He did look the part but not so convincing. I don’t think that he got a raw deal because the way role was defined it was superbly crafted. Nana Patekar was effortless and he played the role of ‘Brij Gopal The Advisor” perfectly. I didn’t see any seen where Prakash Jha might have had a fall out with him. He was omnipresent. The worst actor in the movie was the lady who played the role of Arjun and Ranbeer’s mother.

I don’t want to write about Ranbeer who was an amalgam of Arjun and Michael Corleone and in the post-interval scenes he stole the show. The film did justice to his acting caliber and he somehow perfectly suited the role. In years to come, he will displace Aamir Khan is what I would like to predict. Provided Aamir stops to do roles of college students.

Rajneeti brought back my original philosophy and that’s why I fell in love with Katrina in the movie. She has a strange accent in the first half of the movie and a lip surgery gone wrong (or maybe that is some reaction to the injection). Her transformation is amazing, the way she changes gears was astonishing. Her perfect Hindi speech was a revelation too. However that is not the reason why I liked her. I liked her because she was plump and had a fuller figure in the movie. This also made me realize that I may have gotten distracted with petite women in between but I am an Indian guy and prefer a girl with fuller figure. The slimmer the better doesnot work for me. Move over Deepika, I am now officially in love with Katrina Kaif. She is scorching hot. I don’t know if I will be able to survive the second screening of the movie but if I do, it will be for Katrina “not at all petite” Kaif.

Though the film was designed by writers Anjum Rajaballi and Prakash Jha by uncomplicating the complex web of a screenplay, the film belongs to a virtually unknown man called Wayne Sharp who is the music director of the film and has also done the background score. The theme music of the movie is haunting and so is the background piece which he played when Katrina’s transformation is being shown from a crying widow to a political leader who is delivery fiery speeches. I don’t know anything about this Wayne Sharp fellow. But who so ever he is..he is just brilliant. Watch the movie again for the background score….definitely not the songs…but only the background score.

Rajneeti is a delight. For the back ground score and yummy, delicious, delectable and not at all petite Katrina…Ramu…get me a tissue…I am drooling again.

No comments: